Sign in

Forum » More General Categories » Misc. » Guitar Megathread II: Unleash the picking fury!!!
  1. Results 271 to 300 of 3685
  2. First
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Last
  1. Rate This Thread
07-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted By rollerball
ah no wonder. I was listening to that tone and it was almost like drinking castor oil.. and I thought, "this feeling is really familiar".

to be honest, your playing is always improving in like every way and it makes me realize that I pretty much haven't grown at all as a guitar player these last few years other than refining my speed and technique slightly. in terms of creativity I'm at like an all-time low for guitar playing. at this point I really don't consider myself a musician.

The big question, though, is how much has your drum programming improved?

edit: lol I switched that stuff about not being creative over to this comment.

lol fair enough. but I still play the guitar a bunch, it's just that what comes out is either the same paul-gilberty scalar sh*t I always do or utter garbage. it's either one or the other.
lmao still hating on the pod.. let it go bro, it's the GOAT effects processor for the price haha

My drum programming is probably chittier than before, I took a skype lesson a few months ago with one of those prog youtubers just for mixing and programming and he chat on my drums worse than you did lol.. But I got some really good insight for the future.. Like listening to isolated drum tracks that I want mine to sound like and trying to mimic them.. I realized how chitty mine were when I compared them to some btbam isolated drum tracks.. Mine sounded like a little kid banging a toy drumset compared lol.

Also what is your approach to writing music? My biggest transformation for songwriting came when I was tabbing out music.. I think I mentioned this before, but one summer I went full retard and learned two full prog metal albums (Btbam/Colors and Digital Nocturne/THA)… It was like I downloaded their methods of songwriting to my brain and my creative skills skyrocketed.. Try doing that bro.

Originally Posted By brosapiens
Absolutely. Without emotions there's no music. Best playing for me is when I am low emotionally.
Yeah man, wish I could turn that chit on when I wanted to and just always write cool chit
  1. SwimToTheMoon
  2. Registered User
  3. SwimToTheMoons avatar
  1. SwimToTheMoon
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Aug 2011
  4. Location: Kwekwe, in a tent, Zimbabwe
  5. Age: 31
  6. Posts: 14,812
  7. Rep Power: 85,971
07-14-2020, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted By SwimToTheMoon
lmao still hating on the pod.. let it go bro, it's the GOAT effects processor for the price haha

My drum programming is probably chittier than before, I took a skype lesson a few months ago with one of those prog youtubers just for mixing and programming and he chat on my drums worse than you did lol.. But I got some really good insight for the future.. Like listening to isolated drum tracks that I want mine to sound like and trying to mimic them.. I realized how chitty mine were when I compared them to some btbam isolated drum tracks.. Mine sounded like a little kid banging a toy drumset compared lol.

Also what is your approach to writing music? My biggest transformation for songwriting came when I was tabbing out music.. I think I mentioned this before, but one summer I went full retard and learned two full prog metal albums (Btbam/Colors and Digital Nocturne/THA)… It was like I downloaded their methods of songwriting to my brain and my creative skills skyrocketed.. Try doing that bro.
Well admitting you have a problem with drum programming is the first step to recovery.

Honestly that's not a bad idea. I think it's been far too long since I've really made an effort to learn new music, and not just the solo but the chord progressions and composition style. However I think my interests in jazz and fusion music far transcended my ability to understand and regurgitate idea from that type of music.
I just don't have the theory to back that type of stuff up. I might have to suck it up and start taking lessons or some chit.
  1. rollerball
  2. Banned
  3. rollerballs avatar
  1. rollerball
  2. Banned
  3. Join Date: Apr 2012
  4. Location: United States
  5. Posts: 22,357
  6. Rep Power: 0
07-14-2020, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted By rollerball
Well admitting you have a problem with drum programming is the first step to recovery.

Honestly that's not a bad idea. I think it's been far too long since I've really made an effort to learn new music, and not just the solo but the chord progressions and composition style. However I think my interests in jazz and fusion music far transcended my ability to understand and regurgitate idea from that type of music.
I just don't have the theory to back that type of stuff up. I might have to suck it up and start taking lessons or some chit.
Yeah, I don't think I could ever tab out those weird fusion chords by ear.. It's a whole other level..
But just start with regular chit, I feel like progressive metal is the best type of music to strengthen your ear + technique.. It's usually not that hard to figure out by ear in comparison to jazz, like if you slow down a dream theater song, it's all pretty straightforward, it's just that when you put it all together full speed + JP's insane playing + odd time signatures, that it sounds so insane..
That's what I do, try to build a song from simple ideas and slowly make them complex, Guitar Pro and DAWs make this so much easier, no idea how people wrote music before lol. Also not saying my music is anywhere close to DT level, but they taught me a lot..

But if you slow down a Holdsworth song and try to break it down, it's still fuking stupid hard because nothing makes sense with those chords and there is no real structure to it.
  1. SwimToTheMoon
  2. Registered User
  3. SwimToTheMoons avatar
  1. SwimToTheMoon
  2. Registered User
07-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted By SwimToTheMoon
Yeah, I don't think I could ever tab out those weird fusion chords by ear.. It's a whole other level..
My favorite chord has always been
lift big 2 get big
Former NPC Masters Competitor
Certified Personal Trainer
Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO….
-Mods cannot do name changes
-Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads
  1. ctgblue
  2. Grumpy Achy Mod
  3. ctgblues avatar
  1. ctgblue
  2. Grumpy Achy Mod
  3. Join Date: Jan 2002
  4. Posts: 7,444
  5. Rep Power: 1,432,333
07-24-2020, 05:00 AM
Would any of you guitarbrahs be interested in having a small challenge? One of us selects a youtube backing track and we all have to record our impro over it before a deadline. We can then have a poll or whatever and choose a winner. Then the winner gets to select the next track. Etc…
Golden hands
Illuminated miscers: ScottTil
Agents of chaos, disorder and hate: Bodhy, Ironmanlet, ViolentZ, ItsWhatIDo, jeffl1980, BrosefMengele
  1. brosapiens
  2. darkness into Light
  3. brosapienss avatar
  1. brosapiens
  2. darkness into Light
  3. Join Date: Jun 2020
  4. Posts: 2,428
  5. Rep Power: 17,927
07-24-2020, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted By brosapiens
Would any of you guitarbrahs be interested in having a small challenge? One of us selects a youtube backing track and we all have to record our impro over it before a deadline. We can then have a poll or whatever and choose a winner. Then the winner gets to select the next track. Etc…
That sounds like a fun idea. I'm not as technical as some other guy's in this thread but I'm down for it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates
  1. CherryPopinski
  2. Registered Gym Rat
  3. CherryPopinskis avatar
  1. CherryPopinski
  2. Registered Gym Rat
  3. Join Date: Mar 2013
  4. Location: Nevada, United States
  5. Posts: 15,943
  6. Rep Power: 97,270
07-25-2020, 05:22 PM
Decided to donate this one to guitars for vets. Fantastic playing guitar, looks great, but had a ripple in the second layer of epoxy. I don't want to try and strip that off the refinish and sell, it's to well made now. I usually donate one every or every other year to them. Somebody will get a nice one. Aged pine sing pup body, 15k bridge with coil tap. Locking tuners, Wilkinson compensated bridge, 16" radius fretboard. Too many layers of streaked/baked finish to name, with 8-10 coats of sating clear.

lift big 2 get big
Former NPC Masters Competitor
Certified Personal Trainer
Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO….
-Mods cannot do name changes
-Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads
  1. ctgblue
  2. Grumpy Achy Mod
  3. ctgblues avatar
  1. ctgblue
  2. Grumpy Achy Mod
  3. Join Date: Jan 2002
  4. Posts: 7,444
  5. Rep Power: 1,432,333
07-25-2020, 05:43 PM
^Looks pretty good, although it seems like the layer around the paw is flaking. Is that also epoxy?
Go Canucks Go!

Mais notre monde érodé restera le même
Et demain toi et moi serons partis
  1. VTheKing
  2. Allied Allies Alliance
  3. VTheKings avatar
  1. VTheKing
  3. Join Date: Jun 2009
  4. Location: British Columbia, Canada
  6. Posts: 26,849
  7. Rep Power: 81,285
07-27-2020, 12:50 AM
Any of you guys play 7 string?

I've by no means mastered the 6 (do you ever?), but there are a couple of bands I enjoy which play 7's and I wouldn't mind having one.

I'm hanging my nose over the Ibanez RGD range - I just don't know how I'd do with the extended range or Lo-Pro bridge.
  1. DerkBezerk
  2. Registered User
  3. DerkBezerks avatar
  1. DerkBezerk
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Mar 2020
  4. Age: 54
  5. Posts: 346
  6. Rep Power: 5,966
07-27-2020, 06:25 AM
what picks are you bros using?

i'm using these atm :

But tried thse jazz 3 versions and they felt better

1. BenjiDaldes
  2. Banned
  3. BenjiDaldess avatar
  1. BenjiDaldes
  2. Banned
  3. Join Date: Feb 2019
  4. Posts: 4,184
  5. Rep Power: 0
07-27-2020, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted By BenjiDaldes
Ultex Jazz III

1. Dominik
  2. Moderator
  3. Dominiks avatar
  1. Dominik
  2. Moderator
  3. Join Date: May 2005
  4. Location: Australia
  5. Posts: 33,724
  6. Rep Power: 1,876,568
07-27-2020, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted By Dominik
Ultex Jazz III

I'm gonna try some

I find it strange how a shred monster like paul gilbert plays with these 0.6 picks :

1. BenjiDaldes
  2. Banned
  3. BenjiDaldess avatar
  1. BenjiDaldes
  2. Banned
  3. Join Date: Feb 2019
  4. Posts: 4,184
  5. Rep Power: 0
07-27-2020, 08:31 AM
I'm gonna try some

I find it strange how a shred monster like paul gilbert plays with these 0.6 picks
No idea how he does it. I started out with those paper thin nylon picks which were okay strumming chords but sucked for picking, then I progressed to Jazz III and never looked back. Anything larger than that feels like holding a Dorito.

I'd like to try these because I used to play those in 2mm which I cut and sanded to the jazz iii shape. Just found out they exist.

1. Dominik
  2. Moderator
  3. Dominiks avatar
  1. Dominik
  2. Moderator
07-27-2020, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted By DerkBezerk
Any of you guys play 7 string?

I've by no means mastered the 6 (do you ever?), but there are a couple of bands I enjoy which play 7's and I wouldn't mind having one.

I'm hanging my nose over the Ibanez RGD range - I just don't know how I'd do with the extended range or Lo-Pro bridge.
I have a Chapman Ml1-7 Pro. Very good guitar …
Golden hands
Illuminated miscers: ScottTil
Agents of chaos, disorder and hate: Bodhy, Ironmanlet, ViolentZ, ItsWhatIDo, jeffl1980, BrosefMengele
  1. brosapiens
  2. darkness into Light
  3. brosapienss avatar
  1. brosapiens
  2. darkness into Light
  3. Join Date: Jun 2020
  4. Posts: 2,428
  5. Rep Power: 17,927
07-28-2020, 06:27 AM

i'm using these atm :

Originally Posted By Dominik
Ultex Jazz III

I use Dunlop .88mm

For the first year and a bit I was using the red .5mm tortex ones and the switch felt so much better. I felt it was way easier to pick single strings and that i could do it more consistently with the .88. Next I want to try a 1+mm pick and see if it feels even better than this .88mm one. How long do you guys keep the same picks btw? Been using this one for about a year.
  1. LordBroly
  2. Doomed User
  3. LordBrolys avatar
  1. LordBroly
  2. Doomed User
  3. Join Date: Oct 2015
  4. Posts: 3,291
  5. Rep Power: 35,583
07-28-2020, 06:53 AM
I'm playing around with the .88 Jazz 3 XL's, but after using the standard black Jazz 3, they feel way too big.

How long do you guys keep the same picks btw? Been using this one for about a year.
Usually until the tip has rounded down and it's not as snappy moving between strings.

I have a Chapman Ml1-7 Pro. Very good guitar …
I'd forgotten all about Chapman, cheers dude!
  1. DerkBezerk
  2. Registered User
  3. DerkBezerks avatar
  1. DerkBezerk
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Mar 2020
  5. Posts: 346
  6. Rep Power: 5,966
07-30-2020, 09:17 AM
I do heavy sounds with this thickness. Pretty reliable

1. kenjoshx
  2. Last edited by
  3. kenjoshxs avatar
  1. kenjoshx
  2. Last edited by
  3. Join Date: Dec 2012
  4. Posts: 1,398
  5. Rep Power: 4,437
07-30-2020, 07:38 PM

i'm using these atm :

This. As poor as it gets m8.

Feel no difference between this **** and a penny.
  1. GODself
  2. Banned
  3. GODselfs avatar
  1. GODself
  2. Banned
  3. Join Date: Oct 2017
  4. Location: Not, In, Korea
  5. Posts: 8,119
07-30-2020, 07:55 PM
I use these:

Gotta have the extra grip, otherwise I hold the pick too hard and I can't get accuracy.
Go Canucks Go!

Mais notre monde érodé restera le même
Et demain toi et moi serons partis
  1. VTheKing
  3. VTheKings avatar
  1. VTheKing
  3. Join Date: Jun 2009
  4. Location: British Columbia, Canada
  6. Posts: 26,849
  7. Rep Power: 81,285
08-05-2020, 04:28 AM
I used to love heavy and extra heavy picks but I've slowly come down to around mediums with large surface area. For my hands it feels I have more options with attack strength but also softer picking/chords.

I tried the famous Jazz Nylon 3s just because I kept reading about them but I could never get used the small size.

At the moment I have a whole bunch I am trying out. You can get really crazy with picks, some specially beveled and some can cost up to $10 lol.

I am kinda like Tommy Emmanuel though, if I find a pick I like I basically use it until it evaporates.
EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.
  1. EoR
  2. 2021 Mr.Internet
  3. EoRs avatar
  1. EoR
  2. 2021 Mr.Internet
  3. Join Date: Feb 2005
  4. Posts: 30,105
  5. Rep Power: 160,146
08-05-2020, 09:08 AM
I use Chicken Picks, Blue Chip picks, Gravity Picks, V-Picks, some picks made from stone.
I used to use Dunlop Gator Grips almost exclusively for years.
Thickness going from .8mm all the way to those V-Pick monsters that are like 25mm thick.
  1. rollerball
  2. Banned
  3. rollerballs avatar
  1. rollerball
  2. Banned
08-05-2020, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted By VTheKing
Gotta have the extra grip, otherwise I hold the pick too hard and I can't get accuracy.
I just do because why wouldn't you?

The billionaire and the beggar both have 24 hours in a day.

That's why grandma's apple pie rocks and yours sucks.

At least it will thunderstorm tonight, and we know how they feel about water. :)

^^^Racist police officer who also cries about how racism doesn't exist, also cries reverse racism and typifies the stupidity of the racist right, referring to black people as "they" and regurgitating racist stereotypes.
  1. MBisonSon
  2. Registered User
  3. MBisonSons avatar
  1. MBisonSon
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Jan 2016
  4. Posts: 30,507
  5. Rep Power: 166,413
08-05-2020, 09:51 AM
Just moved this past weekend, and will finally have a space to set up my “digital” rig. So fuarkin excited!

Rig will be
Kemper Profiler (lunchbox) with remote
Dynaudio BM5a monitors
A couple ESP’s and an American deluxe tele
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 -> iPad Pro

Pictures to come this weekend.
"It won't get better, just different."
  1. chino3
  2. Irrelevant to YOUR succes
  3. chino3s avatar
  1. chino3
  2. Irrelevant to YOUR succes
  3. Join Date: Oct 2012
  4. Posts: 13,906
  5. Rep Power: 134,275
08-05-2020, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted By kenjoshx
I do heavy sounds with this thickness. Pretty reliable

These are what I use, I really like them.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates
  1. CherryPopinski
  2. Registered Gym Rat
  3. CherryPopinskis avatar
  1. CherryPopinski
  2. Registered Gym Rat
  3. Join Date: Mar 2013
  4. Location: Nevada, United States
  5. Posts: 15,943
  6. Rep Power: 97,270
08-05-2020, 10:48 AM
I use Petrucci Jazz III cause I bought a chitload of them years ago on amazon
  1. SwimToTheMoon
  2. Registered User
  3. SwimToTheMoons avatar
  1. SwimToTheMoon
  2. Registered User
08-05-2020, 11:35 AM
I almost always use mediums. tried a few of the lighter ones and didn't dig it.

lol picked one of these up quite awhile back: peso pick, billy gibbons style

PRs: Back Squat- 410x1 / Front Squat- 320x1/ Bench- 325x1 / Deadlift- 505x1

Woody's Quest for the Seven (journal):
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177649631
  1. Woody-5
  2. The All-American American
  3. Woody-5s avatar
  1. Woody-5
  2. The All-American American
  3. Join Date: Apr 2010
  4. Location: Illinois, United States
  5. Age: 45
  6. Posts: 19,966
  7. Rep Power: 142,834
08-05-2020, 02:21 PM
I have the somewhat controversial view that thinner picks can produce more varied, better tone. But that being said I prefer thicker, stiffer picks by a long shot.
  1. rollerball
  2. Banned
  3. rollerballs avatar
  1. rollerball
  2. Banned
08-06-2020, 04:32 PM
I use these, although if push comes to shove I'll use just about anything and get on with it -

edit: ah, "something something something, you haven't posted enough come back later". Okay. Jazztone 204(?) in a sometimes hybrid picking scenario.
  1. Jakc120
  2. Registered User
  3. Jakc120s avatar
  1. Jakc120
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Aug 2020
  5. Posts: 16
08-07-2020, 10:22 PM

absolute f*cking wow man. I cannot believe he pulled that second video off in one take.
  1. rollerball
  2. Banned
  3. rollerballs avatar
  1. rollerball
  2. Banned
08-11-2020, 07:20 AM
Great to see these two working together again.

1. Dominik
  2. Moderator
  3. Dominiks avatar
  1. Dominik
  2. Moderator