Sign in

Forum » More General Categories » Misc. » Anyone ever stop training chest for a long time?
  1. Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. Rate This Thread
08-26-2024, 02:43 PM

Anyone ever stop training chest for a long time?

Had a pec strain a week ago and I'm not sure how long it will take to recover. My chest is pretty well developed in the area I got injured and I'm actually looking forward to losing some mass there.

Have you guys ever stopped training it for a long time, and trained everything else instead? What happened?
Monster0ultra self proclaimed "Chad" face pic looks like vtech school shooter: https://i.imgur.com/z2m6Why.jpg
  1. TugOfPeace
  2. 1012 ng/dl
  3. TugOfPeaces avatar
  1. TugOfPeace
  2. 1012 ng/dl
  3. Join Date: Oct 2013
  4. Posts: 3,048
  5. Rep Power: 166,021
08-26-2024, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted By TugOfPeace
Had a pec strain a week ago and I'm not sure how long it will take to recover. My chest is pretty well developed in the area I got injured and I'm actually looking forward to losing some mass there.

Have you guys ever stopped training it for a long time, and trained everything else instead? What happened?
yes this happened to me. I beleive I was eventually able to shoulder press and i just focused on those for my push day. after a few months , chest recovered, and everything was all good. just work around it brother, you ll be fine.
IF YOU DONT SQUAT, YOU AINT SQUAT
  1. Legendsneverdie
  2. Registered User
  3. Legendsneverdies avatar
  1. Legendsneverdie
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Aug 2007
  4. Age: 38
  5. Posts: 10,235
  6. Rep Power: 98,555
08-26-2024, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted By Legendsneverdie
yes this happened to me. I beleive I was eventually able to shoulder press and i just focused on those for my push day. after a few months , chest recovered, and everything was all good. just work around it brother, you ll be fine.
Did you see a doctor to get an ultrasound or go to any physical therapy? And did you lose any visible mass?

Silver lining for me is that I can already train shoulders just as heavily as before. So I can still do shoulders, back, arms, legs, core, etc.
Monster0ultra self proclaimed "Chad" face pic looks like vtech school shooter: https://i.imgur.com/z2m6Why.jpg
  1. TugOfPeace
  2. 1012 ng/dl
  3. TugOfPeaces avatar
  1. TugOfPeace
  2. 1012 ng/dl
08-26-2024, 03:08 PM
I honestly hate training chest heavy due to pec minor injury i had years ago, every time i start going heavy my left chest always hurts like a mofo and feels like I'm having a heart attack
  1. KidGogeta
  2. BRB cuttin...
  3. KidGogetas avatar
  1. KidGogeta
  2. BRB cuttin...
  3. Join Date: Feb 2007
  4. Posts: 3,792
  5. Rep Power: 11,532
08-26-2024, 03:12 PM
Did you see a doctor to get an ultrasound or go to any physical therapy? And did you lose any visible mass?

Silver lining for me is that I can already train shoulders just as heavily as before. So I can still do shoulders, back, arms, legs, core, etc.
bro, you are golden if you can hit shoulders.

No, i never saw a doc because i was pretty sure it didnt tear. No diagnositic tests for me. If you aren't sure, and think it is a tear, go get some kind of dx test.

can you do some light set of cable/machine flies? maybe work those in. Yeah I do believe my chest got a bit soft, but it recovered fast once injury healed. Just stay lean.
IF YOU DONT SQUAT, YOU AINT SQUAT
  1. Legendsneverdie
  2. Registered User
  3. Legendsneverdies avatar
  1. Legendsneverdie
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Aug 2007
  4. Age: 38
  5. Posts: 10,235
  6. Rep Power: 98,555
08-26-2024, 03:29 PM
I did 29 pushups a few days ago. Was aiming for 44
  1. explosiveMidget
  2. Registered User
  3. explosiveMidgets avatar
  1. explosiveMidget
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Mar 2014
  4. Location: Spain
  5. Posts: 13,673
  6. Rep Power: 214,494
08-26-2024, 03:49 PM
You should be training it if it's a strain. Start with isometrics in a safe range (not on stretch) and progress from there as pain allows, push ups-> light weight partial ROM pressing, -> full ROM -> full ROM with heavy weights.
  1. Khumatmibro
  2. Registered User
  3. Khumatmibros avatar
  1. Khumatmibro
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Jun 2020
  4. Age: 54
  5. Posts: 1,794
  6. Rep Power: 9,182
08-26-2024, 04:08 PM
I've stopped using my chest for a month or two after surgery several times, it's not a big deal. Take a month off and you will be back to where you were in three weeks. Take two months off and it will be 5-6 weeks.
Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster……
  1. DuracellBunny
  2. Has new batteries!
  3. DuracellBunnys avatar
  1. DuracellBunny
  2. Has new batteries!
  3. Join Date: Nov 2005
  4. Posts: 13,211
  5. Rep Power: 232,248
08-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Had a similar injury. Didn’t hit chest for several weeks at all, then chest day was just 250-300 pushups for another month or so. It eventually healed up and good to go now
  1. ezmac31
  2. Registered User
  3. ezmac31s avatar
  1. ezmac31
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Jun 2009
  4. Location: Michigan, United States
  5. Age: 41
  6. Posts: 14,198
  7. Rep Power: 213,816
08-26-2024, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted By Khumatmibro
You should be training it if it's a strain. Start with isometrics in a safe range (not on stretch) and progress from there as pain allows, push ups-> light weight partial ROM pressing, -> full ROM -> full ROM with heavy weights.
What he said

Find your entry point and slowly build back to full ROM/load pressing

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog...ining-what-do/
Every man should be able to crush offenders penis using his rock solid glutes if he is victim of anal assault attempt

B/S/D: 315/365x5/525
  1. AshWar
  2. Registered User
  3. AshWars avatar
  1. AshWar
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Sep 2013
  4. Posts: 24,379
  5. Rep Power: 483,248
08-26-2024, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted By AshWar
What he said

Find your entry point and slowly build back to full ROM/load pressing

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog...ining-what-do/
Preach. Retard miscers will be telling him to take half a year off and when he's weak and deconditioned he'll wonder why he keeps getting injured by jumping straight back into the workouts he's currently doing lol.
  1. Khumatmibro
  2. Registered User
  3. Khumatmibros avatar
  1. Khumatmibro
  2. Registered User
08-26-2024, 04:26 PM
Preach. Retard miscers will be telling him to take half a year off and when he's weak and deconditioned he'll wonder why he keeps getting injured by jumping straight back into the workouts he's currently doing lol.
Isn't it dangerous to train through it due to the possibility of tearing it again even worse than the first time?
  1. TugOfPeace
  2. 1012 ng/dl
  3. TugOfPeaces avatar
  1. TugOfPeace
  2. 1012 ng/dl
08-26-2024, 04:30 PM
Isn't it dangerous to train through it due to the possibility of tearing it again even worse than the first time?
Nope, you need to get some load through it in order for it to regain some tensile strength. It's fine to rest it for a couple of days but after that I'd start loading it in an incremental manner as described.

Btw for reference I have worked with someone who tore their hamstring off the bone and they were back playing their sport after a surgical reattachment and 4 months rehab.

If you didn't have a pop/tear, extensive bruising and loss of function it's most likely a relatively small muscle injury and should be fully resolved within a few weeks.
  1. Khumatmibro
  2. Registered User
  3. Khumatmibros avatar
  1. Khumatmibro
  2. Registered User
09-16-2024, 05:33 PM
Had a big shoulder injury like 8 years ago. Didn’t bench for 8 months. Probably lost around 100 lbs on max, chest lost some definition. In all fairness, I could have done A LOT more lifting and probably maintained my physique (though some strength loss was inevitable)

Once I started benching again and shoulder was back to normal it only took a few months for the strength and definition to come back and less then a year later hit new bench PRs

Short answer, shouldn’t be a problem if you take a bit of time off. A small strain probably needs 2-4 weeks off which will do nothing to definition, maybe 4 weeks off will be a slight hit to strength
No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical trainingwhat a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates
  1. L1ghtweight
  2. Registered User
  3. L1ghtweights avatar
  1. L1ghtweight
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Dec 2012
  4. Age: 34
  5. Posts: 865
  6. Rep Power: 3,868