Sign in

Forum » More General Categories » Misc. » Misc Sober Crew Recovery/Sobriety Support
  1. Results 271 to 300 of 984
  2. First
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Last
  1. Rate This Thread
09-15-2022, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By RusselRestHaven
thanks man i needed to hear this right now
If you are really struggling with alcohol cravings, it might be worthwhile to ask your doc about naltrexone (the intramuscular version is called Vivitrol). Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist, which means that it binds to the opioid receptors, but does in a way that blocks opioids from binding and causing their effects. I mention it because it is also used for alcohol cravings; it modifies and influences the pleasure that is obtained from alcohol. You will still feel drunk if you drink, but it reduces the euphoria associated with the ethanol. As a result, it can curb cravings.
Miscer in recovery: clean date 03/30/22

“The opposite of addiction isn't sobriety, it is connection" - Johann Hari

My Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy1OyYHH6uYzP8FqHGaP-eg

YT Gaming Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmL9RZ6hY9L9jFwb1jOKn1w
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Jun 2008
  4. Age: 37
  5. Posts: 2,520
  6. Rep Power: 42,981
09-22-2022, 10:07 AM
What’s up my recovery brethren? I hope everyone is going strong in their recovery! How has your week been so far? Any struggles and/or victories?

I’m doing pretty well. I have been taking a certified peer counselor class and will be certified next week. I will also be hitting six months next week!

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
09-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Holy shiiiiiid, y'all, i haven't been on misc in forever.

But I hopped back on and noticed the recovery thread and thought I should pop in and say that in 12 days, I'll have 1 year of sobriety.
I definitely need to get back in the gym, but I'm just happy I'm sober.

If you're new to recovery, surround yourself with other sober people who you can call if you ever need someone to talk you out of a drink. It isn't worth throwing your life away. Alcohol doesn't make you a better version of yourself; you're the best you when you're sober.
Insta 2_goblins_in_a_trenchcoat
  1. BbyGainz
  2. Registered User
  3. BbyGainzs avatar
  1. BbyGainz
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Jul 2017
  4. Location: Georgia, United States
  5. Posts: 1,096
  6. Rep Power: 23,911
09-22-2022, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By BbyGainz
Holy shiiiiiid, y'all, i haven't been on misc in forever.

But I hopped back on and noticed the recovery thread and thought I should pop in and say that in 12 days, I'll have 1 year of sobriety.
I definitely need to get back in the gym, but I'm just happy I'm sober.

If you're new to recovery, surround yourself with other sober people who you can call if you ever need someone to talk you out of a drink. It isn't worth throwing your life away. Alcohol doesn't make you a better version of yourself; you're the best you when you're sober.
Hey, congrats on hitting the one year mark in less than a week! Definitely a huge accomplishment and milestone.

I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion on surrounding yourself with other people that are in recovery. I also feel that “normies” can provide good support as long as they are understanding. At the very least, getting rid of people who abuse substances and especially those who you used with.

I am fortunate that my city has a really strong recovery community. The social aspect of building a support network and also just being more social in general has helped me so much. I know that not everyone will live in a place that has a solid recovery community, but I always encourage other people to look into it.

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
09-23-2022, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted By Joeyw88
Hey, congrats on hitting the one year mark in less than a week! Definitely a huge accomplishment and milestone.

I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion on surrounding yourself with other people that are in recovery. I also feel that “normies” can provide good support as long as they are understanding. At the very least, getting rid of people who abuse substances and especially those who you used with.

I am fortunate that my city has a really strong recovery community. The social aspect of building a support network and also just being more social in general has helped me so much. I know that not everyone will live in a place that has a solid recovery community, but I always encourage other people to look into it.
Thank you so much!

And yes, many normies are great support systems, but there are probably just as many that will totally enable someone's addiction, because they don't truly understand the way addiction works. There are still SO many people that don't believe addiction is a legitimate disorder/health condition, hence why many addicts don't ever seek help. A lot of shame plays into those machinations but I digress…
It takes a village to raise a child, and it also takes a village to stay sober. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have found a common theme among addicts is the automatic reflex to retreat from our problems (or others), or to isolate. As cathartic as it is to cocoon into our self-made isolation, it's honestly the opposite that will ultimately push us through our journey of recovery.
No one gets us like another addict does, that's for sure.
  1. BbyGainz
  2. Registered User
  3. BbyGainzs avatar
  1. BbyGainz
  2. Registered User
09-23-2022, 04:39 PM
ITT, Seen this thread on top for a minute but had plenty of help IRL so been ignoring it, and has been an unhealthy rollercoaster…. BUT in this same week got an ultimatum from my HBB and god-tier job (16 years). Both know half my truth/details but have been putting up with my bs because I had an outlier year with crazy life losses and has been rapid decent (13 months) not a prolonged stupidity for decades…

But here we go again, sobriety gotta stick this time.
  1. Goat_187
  2. Registered User
  3. Goat_187s avatar
  1. Goat_187
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Nov 2008
  4. Location: Miami, Florida, United States
  5. Age: 38
  6. Posts: 20,499
  7. Rep Power: 93,130
09-23-2022, 04:42 PM
This song also played on focking shuffled on the way home…

1. Goat_187
  2. Registered User
  3. Goat_187s avatar
  1. Goat_187
  2. Registered User
09-23-2022, 08:32 PM
Thank you so much!

And yes, many normies are great support systems, but there are probably just as many that will totally enable someone's addiction, because they don't truly understand the way addiction works. There are still SO many people that don't believe addiction is a legitimate disorder/health condition, hence why many addicts don't ever seek help. A lot of shame plays into those machinations but I digress…
It takes a village to raise a child, and it also takes a village to stay sober. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have found a common theme among addicts is the automatic reflex to retreat from our problems (or others), or to isolate. As cathartic as it is to cocoon into our self-made isolation, it's honestly the opposite that will ultimately push us through our journey of recovery.
No one gets us like another addict does, that's for sure.
Yeah really good point. Family members and friends of individuals struggling with substance abuse want to help, but then it becomes enabling them as you mentioned. And I agree with your point about people not believing that addiction is a disease process, but I believe that stigma and denial of substances being a problem also contributes to those individuals not seeking help. Not only that, but many people believe that asking/seeking help is a sign of weakness when in reality it is a sign of strength (imo). There is always a time and place for solitude, especially for introverts. But consistent isolation is definitely a problem for those trying to live of recovery. I am a firm believer that social connection is key to successful recovery. Doesn't mean you need to be social 100%, but having a strong social support network helps a ton (hence the quote from Johann Hari in my sig)

Originally Posted By Goat_187
ITT, Seen this thread on top for a minute but had plenty of help IRL so been ignoring it, and has been an unhealthy rollercoaster…. BUT in this same week got an ultimatum from my HBB and god-tier job (16 years). Both know half my truth/details but have been putting up with my bs because I had an outlier year with crazy life losses and has been rapid decent (13 months) not a prolonged stupidity for decades…

But here we go again, sobriety gotta stick this time.
Thank you for sharing in this thread, especially with such a vulnerable post! In what ways have you worked on your recovery? Do you/have you been to any sort of support meetings on a regular basis? And it doesn't have to be a 12 step group like AA or NA. There are other groups like SMART Recovery (which I like because it is based on cognitive behavioral therapy) and Recovery Dharma. Have you ever sought out treatment? It doesn't necessarily have to be inpatient. They have PHP, IOP, and OP (partial hospitalization program, intensive outpatient, and outpatient; PHP is the most intensive form of outpatient while just OP can be once a week and/or once a month). Do you have any other supports other than your GF?

I see that you mention that "sobriety gotta stick this time". Not to sound condescending, but I think that there is a huge difference between living a life of sobriety compared to living a life of recovery. There are some who can just white knuckle it and keep sobriety going. But typically, they are either not successful or happy with their life. Living a life of recovery involves changing more than just not using. With many addicts, substance abuse was a bandaid for a deeper problem and therefore that deeper problem (or problems) need to be addressed. It sounds like you are in a really challenging situation and I hope you are able to navigate through it. There is no shame about getting help from treatment! I encourage you to post on here with updates or just whatever is on your mind. Also, please feel free to PM me anytime if you'd like to talk!

This song also played on focking shuffled on the way home…

[youtube]T6T_94qjp5g[youtube]
Thank you for sharing, that is a good song! Here are two of mine that I enjoy (kind of relate to recovery lol).

As far as I am doing; this week has been pretty good. I finished the last day of certified peer counselor training and will take a written and oral test next week. I am looking forward to having that certification which will help add a lot of benefit to the recovery coach classes I have taken. I've been physically active this whole week and as a result, I am feeling pretty darn good. I feel very content and satisfied with life which is still a foreign feeling to me lol.

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
09-23-2022, 10:04 PM
Yeah really good point. Family members and friends of individuals struggling with substance abuse want to help, but then it becomes enabling them as you mentioned. And I agree with your point about people not believing that addiction is a disease process, but I believe that stigma and denial of substances being a problem also contributes to those individuals not seeking help. Not only that, but many people believe that asking/seeking help is a sign of weakness when in reality it is a sign of strength (imo). There is always a time and place for solitude, especially for introverts. But consistent isolation is definitely a problem for those trying to live of recovery. I am a firm believer that social connection is key to successful recovery. Doesn't mean you need to be social 100%, but having a strong social support network helps a ton (hence the quote from Johann Hari in my sig)

Thank you for sharing in this thread, especially with such a vulnerable post! In what ways have you worked on your recovery? Do you/have you been to any sort of support meetings on a regular basis? And it doesn't have to be a 12 step group like AA or NA. There are other groups like SMART Recovery (which I like because it is based on cognitive behavioral therapy) and Recovery Dharma. Have you ever sought out treatment? It doesn't necessarily have to be inpatient. They have PHP, IOP, and OP (partial hospitalization program, intensive outpatient, and outpatient; PHP is the most intensive form of outpatient while just OP can be once a week and/or once a month). Do you have any other supports other than your GF?

I see that you mention that "sobriety gotta stick this time". Not to sound condescending, but I think that there is a huge difference between living a life of sobriety compared to living a life of recovery. There are some who can just white knuckle it and keep sobriety going. But typically, they are either not successful or happy with their life. Living a life of recovery involves changing more than just not using. With many addicts, substance abuse was a bandaid for a deeper problem and therefore that deeper problem (or problems) need to be addressed. It sounds like you are in a really challenging situation and I hope you are able to navigate through it. There is no shame about getting help from treatment! I encourage you to post on here with updates or just whatever is on your mind. Also, please feel free to PM me anytime if you'd like to talk!

Thank you for sharing, that is a good song! Here are two of mine that I enjoy (kind of relate to recovery lol).

As far as I am doing; this week has been pretty good. I finished the last day of certified peer counselor training and will take a written and oral test next week. I am looking forward to having that certification which will help add a lot of benefit to the recovery coach classes I have taken. I've been physically active this whole week and as a result, I am feeling pretty darn good. I feel very content and satisfied with life which is still a foreign feeling to me lol.
Thanks for the detailed response. My poison is alcohol. I was a 'normal' weekend social drinker when out with people. Covid is when the intake slowly increased and became habitual to daily drink every day at home with my girl when going out during shutdown wasn't an option. Then around this time last year ended a long relationship with my ex-fiancee with the whole wedding almost planned and paid out (no ragrets, met current better hbb girl soon after) except it focked my finances up with all the money wasted. Soon after covid hit the family and my mom was in that 1% and she passed because of it only to be followed by my doggie of 14 years dying the same week. Needless to say was depressed af and coping with drinking got to stupid levels fast. Never saw it as a threat because of the obvious life-altering reason I could point to blame.

Work ethic went to shyt but was never worried about losing it because of my position. Even my company suggested and payed top of line therapist and eventually a psychiatrist which I was against because didn't want to start popping pills. Until my body told me otherwise and focked my gut with issues and couldnt even keep water down. Drove myself to ER and was a classic case of strong withdrawals and couldn't ignore it anymore, got admitted for detox spent a few days and when I got out I was open with my therapist about intake (handle a day) and suggested AA and went to a few and was in denial and refused to go keep going with the ignorance and misconceptions it was a religious cult and only for homeless dudes sleeping outside the liquor store and I was still 'functional af' from outsiders perception.

Kept going and tried all advice they gave and even antidepressants that were muted by keeping drinking and soon again the gutt issues were coming back and said fock it., And committed to AA seriously and went balls deep researching it and realized I was an ignorant kunt about it, went every single day religiously and all fellow alcholcels really helped. Got a sponsor and was sober for a few months did some of the steps and focking feeling like a million bucks, physically and mentally. Until I was getting a little too confident and broke the first rule of complete abstinence thinking I can return to being 'normal' drinking and stopped going. NOPE. Went down the rabbit hole again and was back where I started, actually even worse.

I knew that shyt is no joke, focking works. Did a few time periods of being sober but not a significant amount of days and it always crept up and went full retard. And this month was bad hence my original post that my company and hbb are losing patience, and its been a year. Don't have the mom-died excuse.
  1. Goat_187
  2. Registered User
  3. Goat_187s avatar
  1. Goat_187
  2. Registered User
09-24-2022, 06:26 AM
Oh absolutely!! Personally, I loooooooooove being in my room by myself, working on building keyboards or making music. Another thing I think is integral to recovery is exploring hobbies! I've gained quite a few that I never thought I'd have, and they enrich my life in a way that alcohol never could. And honestly, even in the worst case scenario, by exploring new hobbies you get to learn things about yourself and really connect with yourself too. I don't know if you are working a program or not, but AA has definitely changed my life by teaching me how to get in conscious contact with my Higher Power. That's my favorite part as someone who was traumatized by catholocism as a child lollll; my higher power is of MY understanding. Frickin dope, man.
  1. BbyGainz
  2. Registered User
  3. BbyGainzs avatar
  1. BbyGainz
  2. Registered User
09-24-2022, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the detailed response. My poison is alcohol. I was a 'normal' weekend social drinker when out with people. Covid is when the intake slowly increased and became habitual to daily drink every day at home with my girl when going out during shutdown wasn't an option. Then around this time last year ended a long relationship with my ex-fiancee with the whole wedding almost planned and paid out (no ragrets, met current better hbb girl soon after) except it focked my finances up with all the money wasted. Soon after covid hit the family and my mom was in that 1% and she passed because of it only to be followed by my doggie of 14 years dying the same week. Needless to say was depressed af and coping with drinking got to stupid levels fast. Never saw it as a threat because of the obvious life-altering reason I could point to blame.

Work ethic went to shyt but was never worried about losing it because of my position. Even my company suggested and payed top of line therapist and eventually a psychiatrist which I was against because didn't want to start popping pills. Until my body told me otherwise and focked my gut with issues and couldnt even keep water down. Drove myself to ER and was a classic case of strong withdrawals and couldn't ignore it anymore, got admitted for detox spent a few days and when I got out I was open with my therapist about intake (handle a day) and suggested AA and went to a few and was in denial and refused to go keep going with the ignorance and misconceptions it was a religious cult and only for homeless dudes sleeping outside the liquor store and I was still 'functional af' from outsiders perception.

Kept going and tried all advice they gave and even antidepressants that were muted by keeping drinking and soon again the gutt issues were coming back and said fock it., And committed to AA seriously and went balls deep researching it and realized I was an ignorant kunt about it, went every single day religiously and all fellow alcholcels really helped. Got a sponsor and was sober for a few months did some of the steps and focking feeling like a million bucks, physically and mentally. Until I was getting a little too confident and broke the first rule of complete abstinence thinking I can return to being 'normal' drinking and stopped going. NOPE. Went down the rabbit hole again and was back where I started, actually even worse.

I knew that shyt is no joke, focking works. Did a few time periods of being sober but not a significant amount of days and it always crept up and went full retard. And this month was bad hence my original post that my company and hbb are losing patience, and its been a year. Don't have the mom-died excuse.
Thanks for sharing further and elaborating on your situation. Alcohol is such a challenging substance, partially because it is legal and accepted in society. It sounds like you have had some stretches of time being sober and also sounds like you have a good idea at what you need to do moving forward. Although you had previously come around to going to AA and getting a sponsor, I want to reiterate that there are other meetings out there and you can use both. Addiction amnesia ****ing blows and those thoughts of "I think I can go back to only using once and a while" can get very loud and frequent. For me, I accept the fact that I will never be able to practice a harm reduction lifestyle and occasionally use. Therefore, I practice some daily vigilance and don't allow myself to entertain those thoughts. That overconfidence is a bitch, as you experienced. I wish you the best of luck moving forward and again, please feel free to post here as much as you feel necessary and/or PM me.

Oh absolutely!! Personally, I loooooooooove being in my room by myself, working on building keyboards or making music. Another thing I think is integral to recovery is exploring hobbies! I've gained quite a few that I never thought I'd have, and they enrich my life in a way that alcohol never could. And honestly, even in the worst case scenario, by exploring new hobbies you get to learn things about yourself and really connect with yourself too. I don't know if you are working a program or not, but AA has definitely changed my life by teaching me how to get in conscious contact with my Higher Power. That's my favorite part as someone who was traumatized by catholocism as a child lollll; my higher power is of MY understanding. Frickin dope, man.
Same and therefore I have been incorporating some sort of social interaction on a daily basis. Even if that is making a call to my parents or attending a meeting. Hobbies are definitely necessary to a successful recovery and like I mentioned in my reply to goat, there needs to be more change other than just stop using. Those deeper rooted issues need to be addressed and also, that void that substances once occupied needs to be filled. I am glad that I live a happy life with newfound hobbies and friends. I believed for quite a while that sobriety/recovery would be too boring and I have found that is not the case if you make your life fun!

I am not a huge fan of the 12 step groups, but I still sometimes go to an AA meeting. I really prefer and have been enjoying SMART Recovery. The involvement of cognitive behavioral therapy techniques has been incredibly helpful to me in many aspects of my life, not just recovery. I am currently involved in treatment and currently doing one day of SUD group a week in addition to one hour of mental health counseling every other week. Furthermore, I am currently living in a shared sober living house and that has helped so much! I'm glad you were able to find your higher power! That is another misconception that I have heard from many; a higher power does not have to be God! You can have pretty much anything as your higher power, such as a group of supportive friends or in your case, your understanding. I feel that the important piece is that it is something greater than just your individual self, whether that is something concrete like those friends or more abstract like your own consciousness or God.

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
09-26-2022, 11:56 AM
Same and therefore I have been incorporating some sort of social interaction on a daily basis. Even if that is making a call to my parents or attending a meeting. Hobbies are definitely necessary to a successful recovery and like I mentioned in my reply to goat, there needs to be more change other than just stop using. Those deeper rooted issues need to be addressed and also, that void that substances once occupied needs to be filled. I am glad that I live a happy life with newfound hobbies and friends. I believed for quite a while that sobriety/recovery would be too boring and I have found that is not the case if you make your life fun!

I am not a huge fan of the 12 step groups, but I still sometimes go to an AA meeting. I really prefer and have been enjoying SMART Recovery. The involvement of cognitive behavioral therapy techniques has been incredibly helpful to me in many aspects of my life, not just recovery. I am currently involved in treatment and currently doing one day of SUD group a week in addition to one hour of mental health counseling every other week. Furthermore, I am currently living in a shared sober living house and that has helped so much! I'm glad you were able to find your higher power! That is another misconception that I have heard from many; a higher power does not have to be God! You can have pretty much anything as your higher power, such as a group of supportive friends or in your case, your understanding. I feel that the important piece is that it is something greater than just your individual self, whether that is something concrete like those friends or more abstract like your own consciousness or God.
YES, I was so scared that I wasn't going to be able to enjoy life while sober. When I drank, there was always a version of myself that I hoped I'd become by getting buzzed/drunk. But then I realized that I'm actually more easily able to be that version of myself when i'm sober, but even better than whatever version I'd wanted to be when I was drunk lol.
And CBT is the GOAT! I did something called "moral reconation therapy", idk if you've heard of that but it's a form of CBT. Lots of drawing pictures, and talking about it lmao. But it's also presented in 12 steps, oddly enough. Anyway, it was okay. I'm sure there's better forms of CBT out there. And I'm in a sober living too!!! It's probably the nicest one in the state here; lots of other sober livings will charge you like $1k a month for rent but you're in a room with 15 other people and it's basically a run-down trap house without the drugs. Plus, I can have my phone and computer and decorate my room the way I want it. I've been here since April, and I s2g this apartment looks like it should be on the cover of an interior design magazine lol.
And yes yes a million times yes to making sure your higher power is something bigger than yourself! I love being able to connect to the Universe and speak to that as my higher power. It's truly bizarre but accurate that keeping in conscious contact with a higher power just… works. It makes my life so much better, and everything is so much easier haha. The promises are always coming true.
  1. BbyGainz
  2. Registered User
  3. BbyGainzs avatar
  1. BbyGainz
  2. Registered User
09-28-2022, 11:26 AM
YES, I was so scared that I wasn't going to be able to enjoy life while sober. When I drank, there was always a version of myself that I hoped I'd become by getting buzzed/drunk. But then I realized that I'm actually more easily able to be that version of myself when i'm sober, but even better than whatever version I'd wanted to be when I was drunk lol.
And CBT is the GOAT! I did something called "moral reconation therapy", idk if you've heard of that but it's a form of CBT. Lots of drawing pictures, and talking about it lmao. But it's also presented in 12 steps, oddly enough. Anyway, it was okay. I'm sure there's better forms of CBT out there. And I'm in a sober living too!!! It's probably the nicest one in the state here; lots of other sober livings will charge you like $1k a month for rent but you're in a room with 15 other people and it's basically a run-down trap house without the drugs. Plus, I can have my phone and computer and decorate my room the way I want it. I've been here since April, and I s2g this apartment looks like it should be on the cover of an interior design magazine lol.
And yes yes a million times yes to making sure your higher power is something bigger than yourself! I love being able to connect to the Universe and speak to that as my higher power. It's truly bizarre but accurate that keeping in conscious contact with a higher power just… works. It makes my life so much better, and everything is so much easier haha. The promises are always coming true.
I always drank and used in hopes for obtaining this ideal state of mind, but the longer it went on, the further I straight from that ideal. It wasn't until really working on my recovery was that I am getting back on track to obtaining that happiness and satisfaction with life. I still have a lot further to go, but it's a start. And yes, I am familiar with MRT. I didn't do it, buy I've spoken to a few people who had to as part of a drug court type of deal. I heard it was a pain in the ass lol. There's also dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), which can also be useful.

I'm really fortunate and happy to be living where I am as well. It's a decent house with only five guys including myself. I share a bedroom with another guy, but he is super cool and we get along great. Also, the rent is only $300 a month and that includes the basic household things like soap, TP, paper towels, and etc. I have been in this house since April as well lol.

I think the longer I go on living, the more evident that there is a higher power. And that higher power is really important for your success and happiness as long as you maintain that relationship. I can't count how many times over I should be dead lol. Or mentally and physically disabled; for a few weeks I was unable to walk due to nerve damage from my heavy nitrous oxide abuse. It was a long physical recovery, but I am at like 99% normal. And my memory and cognition is pretty intact as well surprisingly.

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
09-29-2022, 09:53 AM
I always drank and used in hopes for obtaining this ideal state of mind, but the longer it went on, the further I straight from that ideal. It wasn't until really working on my recovery was that I am getting back on track to obtaining that happiness and satisfaction with life. I still have a lot further to go, but it's a start. And yes, I am familiar with MRT. I didn't do it, buy I've spoken to a few people who had to as part of a drug court type of deal. I heard it was a pain in the ass lol. There's also dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), which can also be useful.

I'm really fortunate and happy to be living where I am as well. It's a decent house with only five guys including myself. I share a bedroom with another guy, but he is super cool and we get along great. Also, the rent is only $300 a month and that includes the basic household things like soap, TP, paper towels, and etc. I have been in this house since April as well lol.

I think the longer I go on living, the more evident that there is a higher power. And that higher power is really important for your success and happiness as long as you maintain that relationship. I can't count how many times over I should be dead lol. Or mentally and physically disabled; for a few weeks I was unable to walk due to nerve damage from my heavy nitrous oxide abuse. It was a long physical recovery, but I am at like 99% normal. And my memory and cognition is pretty intact as well surprisingly.
Aw, dude, I'm so proud of you! I wish my rent at this place was $300. I pay like $1900 a month which doesn't include anything lmfao.
But, it's an insanely nice apartment, and it's safe & stable. I live in Alpharetta (like 30 mins from ATL) which is a rather affluent area, so the rent is super DUPER high with those 2 factors combined haha.

I actually thought I accidentally ordered a cocktail yesterday. It was a grapefruit Italian soda, but i s2g it tasted and smelled like tequila. I immediately freaked out, almost had a panic attack, but I was just being dumb. I blame the exorbitant amount of caffeine i had yesterday coupled with sleep deprivation. But anyway, I was so glad that a) there was no alcohol in it and b) i recoiled from it like a hot flame. I didn't think "ooh I'd like a drink now". I was like "oh my god, I'm almost at a year, i don't want to have to start over!" even though if it were accidental it wouldn't be a relapse haha.

I get my first blue chip on tuesday, and i'm super excited.
  1. BbyGainz
  2. Registered User
  3. BbyGainzs avatar
  1. BbyGainz
  2. Registered User
10-01-2022, 08:47 AM
Aw, dude, I'm so proud of you! I wish my rent at this place was $300. I pay like $1900 a month which doesn't include anything lmfao.
But, it's an insanely nice apartment, and it's safe & stable. I live in Alpharetta (like 30 mins from ATL) which is a rather affluent area, so the rent is super DUPER high with those 2 factors combined haha.

I actually thought I accidentally ordered a cocktail yesterday. It was a grapefruit Italian soda, but i s2g it tasted and smelled like tequila. I immediately freaked out, almost had a panic attack, but I was just being dumb. I blame the exorbitant amount of caffeine i had yesterday coupled with sleep deprivation. But anyway, I was so glad that a) there was no alcohol in it and b) i recoiled from it like a hot flame. I didn't think "ooh I'd like a drink now". I was like "oh my god, I'm almost at a year, i don't want to have to start over!" even though if it were accidental it wouldn't be a relapse haha.

I get my first blue chip on tuesday, and i'm super excited.
Damn, but worth it if you have a nice living situation. I'm grateful for my low rent because it has allowed me to work on my recovery without having to rush to finding work. Do you have a specific home group that you plan on getting your chip?

Originally Posted By LargePeter
End of September = 9 months no booze

About 5kg to cut to where I want to be at then I'm gonna eat clen and tren hard. When it's time to dbol my efforts anavar give up I need my liver healthy.
Hell yea dude, nice work on the nine months!

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
10-06-2022, 10:19 AM
Need to get back on this. Been going off the rails the last few months after doing well for a while but I have a really good job now that i cant lose.
Angels
  1. Rooney15
  2. Hung Daddy
  3. Rooney15s avatar
  1. Rooney15
  2. Hung Daddy
  3. Join Date: Mar 2012
  4. Posts: 12,441
  5. Rep Power: 64,053
10-06-2022, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By Rooney15
Need to get back on this. Been going off the rails the last few months after doing well for a while but I have a really good job now that i cant lose.
I am sorry to hear that and we welcome you back! Sometimes avoiding lapses/relapses is much more difficult after some clean time because we sometimes forget exactly why we stopped using lol. At least that has been the case for me. What is your clean date?

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
10-10-2022, 06:14 PM
Hey what's up everyone!?! How is everyone's recovery going? I have been having a good week so far and got my test results back today. I successfully passed my certified peer counselor class, which really helps add to my skills in conjunction with the recovery coach classes I've taken. Has anyone had any victories recently? Any sober milestones?

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
10-11-2022, 08:57 PM
Decided to kick the booze. 3 days in and feeling like crap. Lol. A little clammy, anxious and irritable. Never thought that would happen. Was drinking like 5 cases of beer a week and hittin the whiskey some days. Quit the ******* and pills when I met my woman but apparently the booze took over from their. Hopefully this works. Wish me luck. Never thought I’d be posting this on the misc but you bros and broettes get it more than anyone. Fishing helped me kick the other stuff so maybe I’ll get back into my old hobbies just not all phucked up.
Mother north, united we stand, together we walk
Phantom north, I'll be there when you hunt them down.

Absolutely Love This For You! ❤️💕

Take America Back Again!

Verified 37 Going on 60
Verified Fat Boy
  1. sg1976
  2. NandBroLone
  3. sg1976s avatar
  1. sg1976
  2. NandBroLone
  3. Join Date: Mar 2014
  4. Posts: 19,580
  5. Rep Power: 218,658
10-12-2022, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted By sg1976
Decided to kick the booze. 3 days in and feeling like crap. Lol. A little clammy, anxious and irritable. Never thought that would happen. Was drinking like 5 cases of beer a week and hittin the whiskey some days. Quit the ******* and pills when I met my woman but apparently the booze took over from their. Hopefully this works. Wish me luck. Never thought I’d be posting this on the misc but you bros and broettes get it more than anyone. Fishing helped me kick the other stuff so maybe I’ll get back into my old hobbies just not all phucked up.
Good luck brah, you got this! And congrats on the three days! I think it's extremely important to fill in the time that was spent drinking and/or using with some sort of fun and/or social activity. Otherwise that void of not using will eventually pull you back in. And what happened to you is a common occurrence; when people quit using one substance, it's easy to just replace it with another substance. Your addiction loves that **** and justifies it with "well at least I'm not using _____" lol.

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
10-18-2022, 11:59 PM
Been away from the Misc for a while again, just came back and saw this thread that spoke to mind.
I've been battling addiction for nearly ten years. Last year I managed a few months of sobriety, and honestly expected to feel better but I didn't. I lost my ability to have fun without alcohol and was hoping to feel joy again after a few weeks/months of not drinking, sadly nothing changed and I started drinking again. I don't feel healthy at all, I stopped going to the gym and gained some weight, works been rough as well. Knowing how I felt when I quit last year I just can't find the motivation to stop drinking now, because it doesn't feel worthy enough even though I'd have better physical health improvements.
I also have a very stressful job, I wish I could find another way to relieve stress other than drinking.

I used to be motivated and disciplined to go to the gym almost every day, not drinking, eating healthy,… Now I feel ashamed of who I am. Thankfully I got a nice GF and own a 4 bedroom house, but scared to lose all that in the future.
I tell myself to stop every day, but end up spending the evening drinking.

This chit should be illegal, it's brutal to know that lives are being destroyed by something that should be classified as a hard drug.

I'm open for advice.
“Peace does not mean an absence of conflicts; differences will always be there. Peace means solving these differences through peaceful means; through dialogue, education, knowledge; and through humane ways.”
  1. SashaGab
  2. Registered User
  3. SashaGabs avatar
  1. SashaGab
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Feb 2012
  4. Posts: 860
  5. Rep Power: 7,224
10-20-2022, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted By SashaGab
Been away from the Misc for a while again, just came back and saw this thread that spoke to mind.
I've been battling addiction for nearly ten years. Last year I managed a few months of sobriety, and honestly expected to feel better but I didn't. I lost my ability to have fun without alcohol and was hoping to feel joy again after a few weeks/months of not drinking, sadly nothing changed and I started drinking again. I don't feel healthy at all, I stopped going to the gym and gained some weight, works been rough as well. Knowing how I felt when I quit last year I just can't find the motivation to stop drinking now, because it doesn't feel worthy enough even though I'd have better physical health improvements.
I also have a very stressful job, I wish I could find another way to relieve stress other than drinking.

I used to be motivated and disciplined to go to the gym almost every day, not drinking, eating healthy,… Now I feel ashamed of who I am. Thankfully I got a nice GF and own a 4 bedroom house, but scared to lose all that in the future.
I tell myself to stop every day, but end up spending the evening drinking.

This chit should be illegal, it's brutal to know that lives are being destroyed by something that should be classified as a hard drug.

I'm open for advice.
Hey, thanks for sharing your challenges with substance abuse! It sounds like you have been trying to be sober (or possibly at least cut back), but you have been having a hard time maintaining motivation and a reason to be sober.

I have found through my multiple, unsuccessful attempts at staying clean that there must be some other sort of change besides not drinking. When you abstain from drinking/using, you are taking away your main coping mechanism, albeit an unhealthy coping mechanism. Not only are you taking away your chemical bandaid, you are creating a void of time that was spent obtaining, using, and recovering from substances.

What has worked really well for me is building new relationships with people who are supportive of my recovery and/or in recovery themselves. Additionally, I have been looking for new ways to have fun that don't involve substance abuse. I believe social connection is an incredibly important piece of recovery. Not only do I have healthy relationships to support myself, but I also have more accountability. Meetings like AA, NA, and SMART Recovery are a pretty good way to make new social connections, although they aren't the only way. One change I've made is volunteering at a local recovery cafe.

I want to point out the differentiation between sobriety and recovery, at least my definitions of both. Sobriety is simply abstaining from use while recovery is a whole lifestyle. I have made pretty significant changes in who I associate with (and more importantly, not socially isolating myself) and what activities I do day to day.

One last thing is that post acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) can be a detriment to one's recovery. I suggest reading and learning more about it. People in recovery can have transient symptoms like depression, anxiety, and brain fog that come and go for up to a few years, although they usually decrease in frequency and severity as time goes on.

Hopefully this helps in some way and I encourage you to post here as needed. You can always PM me if you have any more questions!

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
10-21-2022, 04:32 PM
Tonight is:
-28 days no alcohol
-8 days no delta 9 thc (used this for like 7 weeks while slowing the alcohol down…. But just made me anxious)
-5 days no porn/beating it, and deleted my fetish lifestyle site profile. I also believe this is why I haven’t seeked out real dating or relationships the last few years, and just seeked VERY casual sex.

I think the alcohol and the porn/kink sex really screwed with my brain, productivity, happiness etc. Feeling very sad and anxious today….. but I keep telling myself it’s just my brain healing, and this will take a long time.
  1. ScramFranklin
  2. Registered User
  3. ScramFranklins avatar
  1. ScramFranklin
  2. Registered User
  4. Age: 34
  5. Posts: 11,874
  6. Rep Power: 147,927
10-21-2022, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted By ScramFranklin
Tonight is:
-28 days no alcohol
-8 days no delta 9 thc (used this for like 7 weeks while slowing the alcohol down…. But just made me anxious)
-5 days no porn/beating it, and deleted my fetish lifestyle site profile. I also believe this is why I haven’t seeked out real dating or relationships the last few years, and just seeked VERY casual sex.

I think the alcohol and the porn/kink sex really screwed with my brain, productivity, happiness etc. Feeling very sad and anxious today….. but I keep telling myself it’s just my brain healing, and this will take a long time.
Congrats on the four weeks and the other progress!! All of that stuff definitely changes your brain to create a new homeostasis to some degree and it can take a while for it to get back to a "new normal". You are probably aware of post acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) and I think it is helpful to be mindful of it. For me, it makes the days when I am more depressed and anxious more bearable because it is transient and also part of the process of the brain healing. Keep up the good work!!!

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
10-21-2022, 07:47 PM
How do you deal with fear of doctors? Or doctors offices? That may sound stupid.

Also when I spent a month in rehab I developed a deep hatred for the “jargon” I had to hear in group sessions every day.

“Ohhh blah my war stories”

“Oh wow I used to run the streets”

“Damn this is my 14th rehab lol but I got bitches waiting for me”

“Yo these are LIFES that matter, yo”

“Lemme tell you about my lowest point…”

Ok thx for the acupuncture now I have AIDS. Thanks for the Qui Gong, it’s bullchit, thanks for the food actually it was amazing, srs the yogurt and fresh berries in the morning was so good. Thanks for the worthless advice surrounded by people who actually were pretty cool and beat me in chess.

The movie nights weren’t too bad on Saturdays.

Actually I’d probably rather be there than live here…

Also they were nice except for the one heroin girl who made fun of my mustache at the time. To be fair my mustache was in bad taste

Wow I have issues
  1. Ausaric
  2. Still Alive
  3. Ausarics avatar
  1. Ausaric
  2. Still Alive
  3. Join Date: Nov 2014
  4. Posts: 19,177
  5. Rep Power: 200,750
10-22-2022, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted By Ausaric
How do you deal with fear of doctors? Or doctors offices? That may sound stupid.

Also when I spent a month in rehab I developed a deep hatred for the “jargon” I had to hear in group sessions every day.

“Ohhh blah my war stories”

“Oh wow I used to run the streets”

“Damn this is my 14th rehab lol but I got bitches waiting for me”

“Yo these are LIFES that matter, yo”

“Lemme tell you about my lowest point…”

Ok thx for the acupuncture now I have AIDS. Thanks for the Qui Gong, it’s bullchit, thanks for the food actually it was amazing, srs the yogurt and fresh berries in the morning was so good. Thanks for the worthless advice surrounded by people who actually were pretty cool and beat me in chess.

The movie nights weren’t too bad on Saturdays.

Actually I’d probably rather be there than live here…

Also they were nice except for the one heroin girl who made fun of my mustache at the time. To be fair my mustache was in bad taste

Wow I have issues
I really can't answer your question. I've never had a fear, dislike, or aversion to doctors and other medical professionals. I actually worked as a RN for a bit over three years, so that helped.

As far as the jargon, I don't think you are going to be able to do much about that. It sounds like you're talking about your experience in an inpatient setting, so probably don't gonna have the option for a different one, although I guess it depends on the size of your city. However, you can keep attending different meetings (different kinds like AA or SMART, different days and times). Each meeting has it's own atmosphere and you might need to attend several to find one you like.

That being said, I think the serenity prayer is very applicable in this situation, as it is with many situations lol. There's only so much you're going to be able to do with changing the setting, so practicing acceptance will be helpful!

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
10-23-2022, 09:48 PM
Hey, thanks for sharing your challenges with substance abuse! It sounds like you have been trying to be sober (or possibly at least cut back), but you have been having a hard time maintaining motivation and a reason to be sober.

I have found through my multiple, unsuccessful attempts at staying clean that there must be some other sort of change besides not drinking. When you abstain from drinking/using, you are taking away your main coping mechanism, albeit an unhealthy coping mechanism. Not only are you taking away your chemical bandaid, you are creating a void of time that was spent obtaining, using, and recovering from substances.

What has worked really well for me is building new relationships with people who are supportive of my recovery and/or in recovery themselves. Additionally, I have been looking for new ways to have fun that don't involve substance abuse. I believe social connection is an incredibly important piece of recovery. Not only do I have healthy relationships to support myself, but I also have more accountability. Meetings like AA, NA, and SMART Recovery are a pretty good way to make new social connections, although they aren't the only way. One change I've made is volunteering at a local recovery cafe.

I want to point out the differentiation between sobriety and recovery, at least my definitions of both. Sobriety is simply abstaining from use while recovery is a whole lifestyle. I have made pretty significant changes in who I associate with (and more importantly, not socially isolating myself) and what activities I do day to day.

One last thing is that post acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) can be a detriment to one's recovery. I suggest reading and learning more about it. People in recovery can have transient symptoms like depression, anxiety, and brain fog that come and go for up to a few years, although they usually decrease in frequency and severity as time goes on.

Hopefully this helps in some way and I encourage you to post here as needed. You can always PM me if you have any more questions!
Totally agree with every word you said about finding something to fill the emptiness that comes with staying sober. I guess it's just a switch I'm gonna have to flip, sadly I really don't feel ready yet. As I've said I got a pretty stressful job and feel drained each day after work. I tried reading, but finding it hard to concentrate after work, the thought of getting back into sports just doesn't sound appealing either. What I did last year as a replacement for my addiction was gaming, which is better than drinking but still not very good for recovery. Feels like I'm always looking for that dopamine rush. Being kind of anti social doesn't help lol.
“Peace does not mean an absence of conflicts; differences will always be there. Peace means solving these differences through peaceful means; through dialogue, education, knowledge; and through humane ways.”
  1. SashaGab
  2. Registered User
  3. SashaGabs avatar
  1. SashaGab
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Feb 2012
  4. Posts: 860
  5. Rep Power: 7,224
10-25-2022, 02:56 PM
Hey what's up brahs! Hopefully the recovery life is treating you all well. I'm on the bus home from the recovery cafe that I volunteer at and gonna go home to crush a workout. Then have a good dinner and chill.

Any recent victories to celebrate? I met with my first every recoveree yesterday, which was awesome. I'm glad I'm able to help others in their journey of recovery with my own experiences.

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
10-25-2022, 06:35 PM
Hey what's up brahs! Hopefully the recovery life is treating you all well. I'm on the bus home from the recovery cafe that I volunteer at and gonna go home to crush a workout. Then have a good dinner and chill.

Any recent victories to celebrate? I met with my first every recoveree yesterday, which was awesome. I'm glad I'm able to help others in their journey of recovery with my own experiences.
So far so good brah! How are you?
-tonight is one month no alcohol. Probably longest I’ve gone in 9 years
-about 11-12 days no delta 9 weed gummies
-about 8 days no porn or beating it
-4 days complete of a water fast. I have a feeling my bloodwork wasn’t that great, trying to reset my system
  1. ScramFranklin
  2. Registered User
  3. ScramFranklins avatar
  1. ScramFranklin
  2. Registered User
  4. Age: 34
  5. Posts: 11,874
  6. Rep Power: 147,927
10-25-2022, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted By ScramFranklin
So far so good brah! How are you?
-tonight is one month no alcohol. Probably longest I’ve gone in 9 years
-about 11-12 days no delta 9 weed gummies
-about 8 days no porn or beating it
-4 days complete of a water fast. I have a feeling my bloodwork wasn’t that great, trying to reset my system
I'm feeling super good; I had a good workout and then a nice dinner and dessert. Congratulations on the milestones! I feel that the first few months can be the most challenging and it gets better over time. How have you been feeling after abstaining from alcohol, delta 9, and porn? What have you been doing in your free time that would have otherwise been spent with any of those?

My Youtube Channel:

YT Gaming Channel:
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User
  3. Joeyw88s avatar
  1. Joeyw88
  2. Registered User