Sign in

Forum » More General Categories » Misc. » Guitar Megathread II: Unleash the picking fury!!!
  1. Results 211 to 240 of 3685
  2. First
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Last
  1. Rate This Thread
06-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Does anyone have a good tutorial for pinch harmonics/squeals? I need to sit down and learn this technique once and for all. I can only rarely get them but they sound so damn good when you do.
Smooth Seas don't make Strong Sailors. Keep your head up.

MrWhiskey24 for jolly cooperation (PS)
  1. MrBourbon
  2. Some idiot
  3. MrBourbons avatar
  1. MrBourbon
  2. Some idiot
  3. Join Date: Aug 2014
  4. Posts: 22,532
  5. Rep Power: 577,358
06-24-2020, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted By MrBourbon
Does anyone have a good tutorial for pinch harmonics/squeals? I need to sit down and learn this technique once and for all. I can only rarely get them but they sound so damn good when you do.
There's a sweet spot depending on which kind of guitar you're using. Practice picking a note and then ever so slightly catching it with the flesh of your thumb. I can get them pretty consistently, it just takes repetition.

Also hammered out a new cover video, really like this track.

No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates
  1. CherryPopinski
  2. Registered Gym Rat
  3. CherryPopinskis avatar
  1. CherryPopinski
  2. Registered Gym Rat
  3. Join Date: Mar 2013
  4. Location: Nevada, United States
  5. Posts: 15,943
  6. Rep Power: 97,270
06-25-2020, 04:34 AM
Originally Posted By CherryPopinski
There's a sweet spot depending on which kind of guitar you're using. Practice picking a note and then ever so slightly catching it with the flesh of your thumb. I can get them pretty consistently, it just takes repetition.

Also hammered out a new cover video, really like this track.
Great playing and tone…That SG is fuking beautiful as well..
  1. SwimToTheMoon
  2. Registered User
  3. SwimToTheMoons avatar
  1. SwimToTheMoon
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Aug 2011
  4. Location: Kwekwe, in a tent, Zimbabwe
  5. Age: 31
  6. Posts: 14,812
  7. Rep Power: 85,971
06-25-2020, 05:22 AM
Genuinely was unaware of this thread. I've been playing guitar (and a dozen other instruments) and composing music for half my life. Definitely in!
*Look at reflection in car window and flex every time crew*
*Use half the roll to wipe after a poo crew*
*Fart in the gym and blame rotten smell on faulty ventilation crew*
*Fart at home and blame it on the dog crew*
*Watch neutron-star density poop mock me as water flushes around it and it stays put crew*
*Drive 2 minutes in the summer and back of shirt gets completely wet crew*
*Coffee black as midnight on a moonless night crew*
*Fat shame my cat on a daily basis crew*
  1. lightsarefallin
  2. Nukem
  3. lightsarefallins avatar
  1. lightsarefallin
  2. Nukem
  3. Join Date: Oct 2010
  4. Location: Canada
  5. Posts: 37,918
  6. Rep Power: 504,833
06-25-2020, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted By SwimToTheMoon
Great playing and tone…That SG is fuking beautiful as well..
Thanks I recently bought this SG I have a bad habit of wanting SG guitars but I’ve been selling a few of my others cause I never play them. So I reinvested the money into this one. This is pretty rare model if I recall correctly these SG faded models were only made for 2002-2003

It has an Ebony fretboard which I really wanted. There’s some minor wear as you’d expect for a guitar nearly 20 years old

It does need some work though, I mentioned the pickups awhile ago ITT also I think new electronics might help the volume pots hardly do chit.

Also the bridge saddles were never slotted properly so I’m thinking of getting a tone pros bridge pre-slotted from StewMac but it’s damn expensive like $70. Im waiting till a Flying V of mine sells on reverb.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates
  1. CherryPopinski
  2. Registered Gym Rat
  1. CherryPopinski
  2. Registered Gym Rat
06-25-2020, 09:15 AM

I'm working on my sucky pinch harmonics too - I found this video useful
  1. DerkBezerk
  2. Registered User
  3. DerkBezerks avatar
  1. DerkBezerk
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Mar 2020
  4. Age: 54
  5. Posts: 346
  6. Rep Power: 5,966
06-27-2020, 05:44 AM
One of my favorites from Andy Timmons Resolution album: " Beware Dark Days " (seems appropriate? )

1. SekkendSyklye
  2. Banned
  3. SekkendSyklyes avatar
  1. SekkendSyklye
  2. Banned
  3. Join Date: Jan 2020
  4. Posts: 839
  5. Rep Power: 0
06-27-2020, 06:57 AM
Great to see him dust off the AT300.

He's at the apex for me and like several of my favorite players rolled into one. Tone, note selection, and phrasing right out of the top drawer. Also one of the nicest people in the business.
  1. Dominik
  2. Moderator
  3. Dominiks avatar
  1. Dominik
  2. Moderator
  3. Join Date: May 2005
  4. Location: Australia
  5. Posts: 33,724
  6. Rep Power: 1,876,568
06-27-2020, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted By Dominik
Great to see him dust off the AT300.

He's at the apex for me and like several of my favorite players rolled into one. Tone, note selection, and phrasing right out of the top drawer. Also one of the nicest people in the business.
I remember the first time I heard Electric Gypsie and then Cry For You. It opened my eyes to the importance of note selection and phrasing. He can shred with the best of 'em but it's his focus on musicality and cadence which I find most impressive.
  1. DerkBezerk
  2. Registered User
  3. DerkBezerks avatar
  1. DerkBezerk
  2. Registered User
06-27-2020, 04:58 PM
I remember learning to Zakk Wylde back in the day for pinches:

(check the related videos on YT)

1. SekkendSyklye
  2. Banned
  3. SekkendSyklyes avatar
  1. SekkendSyklye
  2. Banned
  3. Join Date: Jan 2020
  4. Posts: 839
  5. Rep Power: 0
06-28-2020, 11:43 AM
High output pickups definitely help. On my les Paul with burstbuckers, it’s more of a struggle than on my Ibanez with bk war pigs. I just have to catch a bit of thumb and the squeal just appears
Always Pick Two Crew
Eat it Like Groceries Crew
Always Be Closing Crew
member of <HTC>

lift heavy, drink bourbon, f**k often
  1. cjmadscientist
  2. Registered User
  3. cjmadscientists avatar
  1. cjmadscientist
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Feb 2012
  4. Posts: 6,107
  5. Rep Power: 80,531
06-28-2020, 03:41 PM
Random question for the guitar guys here.

I used to play a bit as a kid but I lost every skill.
I could play tears in heaven a bit back then.

How difficult would it be for me to relearn that song here.

I may need to pull something like this on a bonfire date but it's gotta be perfect.

https://youtu.be/XfGZncwiIT4

Edit.
This one would be good too.

End level of course is something like Zeppelin Since I've been loving you or Babe I'm gonna Leave you but those are not realistic to learn at this point.
  1. Ladiessman217
  2. Registered User
  3. Ladiessman217s avatar
  1. Ladiessman217
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Dec 2019
  5. Posts: 254
  6. Rep Power: 953
06-28-2020, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By Ladiessman217
Random question for the guitar guys here.

I used to play a bit as a kid but I lost every skill.
I could play tears in heaven a bit back then.

How difficult would it be for me to relearn that song here.

I may need to pull something like this on a bonfire date but it's gotta be perfect.

Edit.
This one would be good too.

End level of course is something like Zeppelin Since I've been loving you or Babe I'm gonna Leave you but those are not realistic to learn at this point.
Tears in Heaven isn't too difficult provided you can move between the chord shapes and lock in to the rhythm with the fingerpicking.

The song you linked I've never heard before, but again it sounds quite straightforward from a quick listen. The arpeggios through the verse may give you some challenge if you haven't played in a while.

The only way you're gonna find out is to get back on the horse brother. Get some tabs and start playing.
  1. DerkBezerk
  2. Registered User
  3. DerkBezerks avatar
  1. DerkBezerk
  2. Registered User
06-29-2020, 11:28 PM
Anyone else sick of Guthrie fanboys?

It's almost like a coma they are all the same. Great versatile player, considerably over-hyped. I'd rather be the master of one style and have a large catalogue of quality compositions than be a glorified studio guitarist. Not hating, but nothing he does hasn't been done before, each style there are better guitarists, there are faster guitarists and he isn't immune in being predictable like many improvisers.

It just seems maybe new guitarists need to have that one player on a pedestal as "Number #1" when there pretty much is no such thing at the moment with so many quality players of all ages.

What made me laugh was his jam @ John Petrucci's convention jam. Like these idiots don't realize JP has been in a band that are the kings of a whole genre and have written a top 3 progressive album of all time.

What they fail to realize is we have thousands of guitarists these days that are incredible but none of them will be remembered when they die. What etches your name are your compositions alongside your abilities. Every generation is going to have a handful of incredibly skilled and versatile guitarists, that will never be in short supply.
EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.
  1. EoR
  2. 2021 Mr.Internet
  3. EoRs avatar
  1. EoR
  2. 2021 Mr.Internet
  3. Join Date: Feb 2005
  4. Posts: 30,105
  5. Rep Power: 160,146
06-30-2020, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted By EoR

It's almost like a coma they are all the same. Great versatile player, considerably over-hyped. I'd rather be the master of one style and have a large catalogue of quality compositions than be a glorified studio guitarist. Not hating, but nothing he does hasn't been done before, each style there are better guitarists, there are faster guitarists and he isn't immune in being predictable like many improvisers.

It just seems maybe new guitarists need to have that one player on a pedestal as "Number #1" when there pretty much is no such thing at the moment with so many quality players of all ages.

What made me laugh was his jam @ John Petrucci's convention jam. Like these idiots don't realize JP has been in a band that are the kings of a whole genre and have written a top 3 progressive album of all time.

What they fail to realize is we have thousands of guitarists these days that are incredible but none of them will be remembered when they die. What etches your name are your compositions alongside your abilities. Every generation is going to have a handful of incredibly skilled and versatile guitarists, that will never be in short supply.
You are angry that people enjoy other people's work?
Do you know about The aristocrats? His work with Asia?

I get goose bumps when I remember how it was seeing this live:

Or his solo ( 2:50 ) on Jason Becker's last album, if this is not emotional and played from the heart I don't know what is:

Golden hands
Illuminated miscers: ScottTil
Agents of chaos, disorder and hate: Bodhy, Ironmanlet, ViolentZ, ItsWhatIDo, jeffl1980, BrosefMengele
  1. brosapiens
  2. darkness into Light
  3. brosapienss avatar
  1. brosapiens
  2. darkness into Light
  3. Join Date: Jun 2020
  4. Posts: 2,428
  5. Rep Power: 17,927
06-30-2020, 03:25 AM
Originally Posted By EoR

I don't know man, Guthrie made them look like fools in this video.. Also he may not have the extensive catalogue that JP has but I find Guthrie's original songs amazing with the perfect mix of technicality and creativity..

1. SwimToTheMoon
  2. Registered User
  3. SwimToTheMoons avatar
  1. SwimToTheMoon
  2. Registered User
06-30-2020, 03:43 AM
Originally Posted By SwimToTheMoon
I don't know man, Guthrie made them look like fools in this video.. Also he may not have the extensive catalogue that JP has but I find Guthrie's original songs amazing with the perfect mix of technicality and creativity..

Things I noticed in this video regarding Guthrie:

- He always plays the changes and somehow even during hist fast impros he seems to successfully play the chord tones
- The way he interacts with Mike during the drums break and Mike feels it, that's musicianship
- How Guthrie seems to extrapolate on what the guy next to him played previously. Forgot his name but he's a professor at Berkeley. The professor sees that.
- How Andy James and Tosin start laughing at the fast part, that's respect and musicianship
- How Guthrie is lost in music and feels it through his whole body. I know this feeling and can see it in others. That's passion and love coming out through the guitar. Special

Amazing musician
Golden hands
Agents of chaos, disorder and hate: Bodhy, Ironmanlet, ViolentZ, ItsWhatIDo, jeffl1980, BrosefMengele
  1. brosapiens
  2. darkness into Light
  3. brosapienss avatar
  1. brosapiens
  2. darkness into Light
07-01-2020, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted By EoR

as I age, it really becomes apparent that melody is what makes a song/lead interesting….playing fast is fun, but it gets fatiguing to listen to very quick when there's nothing else going on

Guthrie has that "thing" where his melodies are noticeable in the middle of mind blowing technique

guy is from another planet

I don't get annoyed with "fan boys" who latch on to the things that blow their minds as it's happened to me (my Queensryche phase lasted a while), it's up to us as an ever dwindling community (guitar based music) to encourage each other to keep growing and evolving. If we don't do that, this will all be over in a few decades.
Always Pick Two Crew
Always Be Closing Crew
member of <HTC>

1. cjmadscientist
  2. Registered User
  1. cjmadscientist
  2. Registered User
07-01-2020, 08:26 AM
40 plus years of jamming several hours a day to his favorite albums. Got to give the man his due. There's a reason they chugged away for a while after that solo… no one wanted to follow it.

He's amazing but not everything he touches turns to gold. I realize this was a lesson but it sounded lifeless and clinical to me compared to the original.

1. Dominik
  2. Moderator
  3. Dominiks avatar
  1. Dominik
  2. Moderator
07-01-2020, 08:35 AM
40 plus years of jamming several hours a day to his favorite albums. Got to give the man his due. There's a reason they chugged away for a while after that solo… no one wanted to follow it.

He's amazing but not everything he touches turns to gold. I realize this was a lesson but it sounded lifeless and clinical to me compared to the original.

he hit all the notes, but missed every bit of individuality Vai has in his phrasing

I can't hate though, from Passion and Warfare all the way through till Fire Garden, Vai was locked the f**k in and what makes his playing so ridiculous is the little things in the middle of all the chaos (timing, vibrato, etc)
Always Pick Two Crew
Always Be Closing Crew
member of <HTC>

1. cjmadscientist
  2. Registered User
  1. cjmadscientist
  2. Registered User
07-01-2020, 09:47 AM

It sounds that way because AFAIK it's multiple segments put together to create the whole song.
Golden hands
  1. brosapiens
  2. darkness into Light
  3. brosapienss avatar
  1. brosapiens
  2. darkness into Light
07-01-2020, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted By brosapiens
It sounds that way because AFAIK it's multiple segments put together to create the whole song.
This.. Pause video at :05 seconds and read lol…

Even as multiple separated segments it sounds really good
  1. SwimToTheMoon
  2. Registered User
  3. SwimToTheMoons avatar
  1. SwimToTheMoon
  2. Registered User
07-01-2020, 01:49 PM
C'mon now, Guthrie destroys Vai.
  1. rollerball
  2. Banned
  3. rollerballs avatar
  1. rollerball
  2. Banned
  3. Join Date: Apr 2012
  4. Location: United States
  5. Posts: 22,357
  6. Rep Power: 0
07-01-2020, 10:27 PM
I wasn't referring to how the song flows despite the clever edit job. I was talking about how he plays Vai's phrases and his tone makes it even worse. Playing it in sections would make it easier for him but I really don't think he was feeling it there. I've seen him play a lot of other stuff in that lesson series that was amazing but that wasn't at his usual high standard for me.
  1. Dominik
  2. Moderator
  3. Dominiks avatar
  1. Dominik
  2. Moderator
07-02-2020, 03:04 AM
Probably most people here know about him but for those unaware let me aware you of another great guitarist. He's an Italian fusion/metal player. Here's the solo playthrough of a song from the album he wrote with James LaBrie from DT.

Vibrato, melodies, rhythm, technique .. pristine.

Golden hands
  1. brosapiens
  2. darkness into Light
  3. brosapienss avatar
  1. brosapiens
  2. darkness into Light
07-02-2020, 05:45 AM
Probably most people here know about him but for those unaware let me aware you of another great guitarist. He's an Italian fusion/metal player. Here's the solo playthrough of a song from the album he wrote with James LaBrie from DT.

Vibrato, melodies, rhythm, technique .. pristine.

definitely dig his style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QIuG8rQzy8&t=0s
Always Pick Two Crew
Always Be Closing Crew
member of <HTC>

1. cjmadscientist
  2. Registered User
  1. cjmadscientist
  2. Registered User
07-02-2020, 09:41 PM
I’ve been lurking in this thread for years, but never posted.

I own a boutique guitar side business. I’ve been playing for 36 years and was in a few bands back in the day. I thought guitar for a few years as well. Now, I’m just a bedroom player like most.

I’ve been building guitars professionally since 2014. If anyone needs any help with equipment let me know.
  1. gtrzrus
  2. Registered User
  3. gtrzruss avatar
  1. gtrzrus
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Jul 2020
  5. Posts: 843
  6. Rep Power: 12,165
07-04-2020, 10:12 PM
Two Notes CAB M recently got a firmware update adding a 74' Fender Bassman preamp. Makes it a good choice as a pedal platform like a Strymon Iridium.

Previously you had to use it with a preamp. I think you could build a nice little pedalboard rig for around $600 using say a Bogner La Grange for Marshall tones and a Boss DD-3T or DD-8 for delay. CAB M handles the power amp and cab simulation. Run it into some decent monitors.

1. Dominik
  2. Moderator
  3. Dominiks avatar
  1. Dominik
  2. Moderator
07-06-2020, 11:30 AM
fuukk brahs, always wanted to learn how to play. few years ago got a really shi*ty guitar, played on and off but never really learned too much.

decided to get another one, got a epiphone because I saw it in some of my favorite bands

went to get it today, plugged it in and it was awesome! i was really happy, I sounded great compared to my old guitar.

I couldnt stop playing, just went to have another session and this happens, the socket falls into the guitar and i cant screw this thing on

its like the metal gods dont want me to learn how to play because theyre scared or something

EDIT: fixed it, rock on brahs

1. GoobyPls
  2. Registered User
  3. GoobyPlss avatar
  1. GoobyPls
  2. Registered User
  3. Join Date: Apr 2012
  4. Posts: 9,713
  5. Rep Power: 64,795
07-06-2020, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted By GoobyPls
fuukk brahs, always wanted to learn how to play. few years ago got a really shi*ty guitar, played on and off but never really learned too much.

decided to get another one, got a epiphone because I saw it in some of my favorite bands

went to get it today, plugged it in and it was awesome! i was really happy, I sounded great compared to my old guitar.

I couldnt stop playing, just went to have another session and this happens, the socket falls into the guitar and i cant screw this thing on

its like the metal gods dont want me to learn how to play because theyre scared or something

EDIT: fixed it, rock on brahs

Use a tiny drop clear nail polish, super glue, or loctite.

-Socrates
  1. CherryPopinski
  2. Registered Gym Rat
  1. CherryPopinski
  2. Registered Gym Rat